GPT-3: The Most Popular Natural Language Model From OpenAI
What is GPT-3
GPT-3 is a natural language model developed by OpenAI, released in May 2020. It is capable of performing tasks such as search, conversation, text creation, and other advanced AI functions. The model was trained using 17.5 billion parameters and a 2048-token-long context, making it the largest of its kind to date.
On June 11, 2020, OpenAI made the GPT-3 API available to the public, leading to the development of over 300 applications based on the model. The high quality of text generated by GPT-3 makes it difficult to distinguish between human-generated and machine-generated text. In the original paper published by OpenAI researchers and engineers on May 28, 2020, they warn of the potential dangers of GPT-3 and call for research to reduce these risks.
Price: Start $0.0004 / 1K Tokens
Tag: AI Chatbot
Release time: May 2020
How to use GPT-3
GPT-3 can be used to handle all text-based content generation. The original GPT-3 model was not directly available to regular users, and was primarily offered as an API for developers to build applications. Microsoft announced on September 22, 2020 that it had secured “exclusive” access to use GPT-3, but only Microsoft could access the underlying model of GPT-3, while others have to use the public API to receive output.
- Register for an OpenAI account
- Log in to the OpenAI API platform
- Read the GPT-3 API documentation
- In the top right account section, you can see the process for creating an API key and related pricing information
- If you have any questions, you can contact OpenAI sales
GPT-3 Playground is a testing page for the GPT-3 API, where you can input any text and test the results returned by GPT-3. Please note the following reminders:
- Each API account has an 18 dollar free quota for the first three months, after which you will need to pay for testing.
- The GPT-3 model’s default training data is cut off at the end of 2021, so data from after 2021 may be inaccurate.
- You can invite other team members to test on the GPT-3 Playground.
Functions of GPT-3:
- Building Codex models, the foundation of GitHub Copilot
- Generating specific code based on text using GPT-3
- Constructing an online Chatbot using GPT-3
- Creating marketing copy using GPT-3
- Writing news articles using GPT-3
- Diagnosing health using GPT-3
Application Scenarios of GPT-3
Chinchilla AI technology has great potential at the application level, referring to similar products like ChatGPT for answers:
- Creating chatbots
- Text content creation
- Game or script creation
- Code construction
- Medical or legal assistant
As more and more developers apply AI technology to their products, this field will become increasingly interesting and will change people’s production and life.
GPT-3 Application Case
- AI Dungeon: A text-based adventure game generated by GPT-3
- Jasper Ai: A platform that generates specific content for marketers and copywriters based on GPT-3
- Fable Studio: Uses GPT-3 to help drive their story-driven “virtual characters”
Potential dangers of GPT-3 generating inaccurate information
- Being used for sending spam emails
- Being utilized for phishing scams
- Misusing legal and government procedures
- Writing fraudulent academic papers
The Price of GPT-3 API
$0.0004 / 1K tokens
$0.0005 / 1K tokens
$0.0020 / 1K tokens
$0.0200 / 1K tokens
For more information, please refer to the official description of OpenAI.
What’s a Token?
You can think of tokens as pieces of words used for natural language processing. For English text, 1 token is approximately 4 characters or 0.75 words. As a point of reference, the collected works of Shakespeare are about 900,000 words or 1.2M tokens.
The development of GPT-3
- On June 11, 2018, OpenAI released a paper titled “Improving Language Understanding by Generative Pre-Training,” in which they introduced the Generative Pre-trained Transformer (GPT).
- On February 14, 2019, OpenAI first announced GPT-2.
- On May 28, 2020, OpenAI first mentioned GPT-3 in a paper.
- On November 30th, 2022, OpenAI fine-tuned the successor model to GPT-3, GPT-3.5, and created a brand new application, ChatGPT. This application was made available to the general public for free and quickly gained popularity worldwide.
- There have been reports that GPT-4 will be released to the public at some point in 2023.